Cannot download anything from the internet – Security Settings Too High

Name: Steve Miller

I cant download anything off the internet. for example i am trying to download the expansion for world of warcraft and the computer gives me a little pop up that says that my security settings are too high to download the thing.  same thing with yahoo messanger.  i have deleted my security program and even payed online for some guys to tell me what to do.  still no help.  i have enabled automatic prompting and allowed for downloads and everything.   i even shut off my firewall to see if that would work but still nothing.  please help.

First off, it’d be helpful to know what browser you’re using. This is probably something as simple as turning down the security settings in Internet Explorer, which is what I’ll assume you’re using.

To begin, load Internet Explorer. Click Tools->Internet Options->Security once on that page, you’ll need to go through each of the options Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted sites, and Restricted sites and reset them to Default Level.

IE6 Security Settings Dialog

You will then want to click Apply. In order to ensure that IE is allowing downloads, then click on the Internet icon and then Custom Level. Scroll down a bit in the Zone Settings dialog and make sure that File Download is set to Enable.

IE6 Zone Security Settings

Click OK once you’ve ensured that File Downloads are enabled.

You’ll also want to double-check the Trusted sites and Restricted sites lists to make sure there aren’t any sites in either of them that you don’t want to be there.

If for some reason that doesn’t work, you can always download FireFox from a different computer, copy it onto a USB drive, and then install it on your current system. You may also want to scan for viruses to make sure that some malware isn’t screwing with your settings.

122 Comments

1. Soumyadip Chattopadhyay says:

I love you thnk you

2. Sams says:

i can download a file but it wont d.load properly and turn to be Unconfirmed 875519.crdownload. when i download using firefox, when it finish downloading (unfortunately it doesn’t) i can’t open it. what’s the problem? i notice it happen after i updates the Window update. what should i do except System Restore?

3. wilber parra says:

my recovery disc drive recently just got full, and for some reason, i can’t download anything.
    when i use chrome to download stuff, the file downloads normally but when I try to drag it to my desktop or try too open it, chrome says the file has been removed,like if i were to deleted it. I’ve tried this on firefox and explorer, but it won’t let me copy it over to my desktop. i cant even put it in folder. I tried deleting junk on my recovery drive, but no good… any suggestions? is it a virus?

4. david says:

i love you i love you i love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you soooooooooooooo much

5. 6webs.com says:

thanks for the screenshots. I was wondering how to correct this issue.

6. Asher Weiss says:

plz send me help files and anything u have by e-mail @ asherweisss@gmail.com
    thanks

7. kay says:

thanks but i have did this just now and i still can’t download and i already have fire fox but thanks any ways

8. michael says:

Help please my computer will not download anything at all. The progress bar moves up but then nothing. It just stops I have tried five diffrent browser and I just get the same result.

9. not downloading!! says:

UH YEA DOWNLOADING IS ENABLED!! WHEN I CLICK ON ANY!! LINK TO DOWNLOAD IT WON’T DOWNLOAD IT JUST LOADS & LOADS WITH NOTHING JUST A BLANK PAGE!! IM REALLY FRUSTRATED WITH INTERNET EXPLRER 9 ABOUT NOW BECAUSE IM RELYING ON IT BECAUSE MY FIREFOX WAS ACTING UP SO I UNISTALLED IT!! NOW I WENT ON VIMEO.COM TO UPLOAD MY VIDEOS ! & THEY WON’T UPLOAD ALL THE WAY!! IT GETS STCUK!!

10. cristian says:

buna ziua nu stiu daca e aceias problema da ro prezint cind intru in google chorme si intru sa descarc un joc sau un program imi arata in bara de descarcari ca este blocat si nu ma lasa sa descarc absolut nimic ma puteti ajuta cu ceva !!!

11. Nazila says:

I cant download anything just said i should switch to new country then what i should do can u help me thank u.

12. ashi says:

thank u so much……….i m so worried about this.

13. mohamm says:

nottttt workingggggggggggggggggggg

14. mohamm says:

baddddddddddd

15. mohamm says:

it works now

16. russel pascual says:

i can’t download any files. thats it. i can download however but when i open it, it doesnt appear and remains blank. what should i do?

17. ameena khan says:

i can’t download anything plz tel me how to repair my system

18. annaya says:

my any browse is not downloading any program…it just start and then stop the last moment but never completes…wht should i do??????plzzzzzzzzzz help as soon as possilble

19. marilyn says:

I cannot download anything it is saying it has a virus to everything I try to download and cant turn my windows firewall on either

20. sigh says:

sigh… when I try to download it just says the options:
    open where? -_-”

21. michaelsumbi says:

what if google chrome how to fix it

22. Country says:

I have to recover webpage to often also I cant download anything. The download window pops up but is useless.