I ran in to this one myself while trying to download EA’s Command and Conquer 3: Kane’s Wrath. When attempting to open The EA Download manager I got the error below:
Flash plugin required. Select OK to launch web browser for Adobe’s Flash Plug-in download.
The problem with this, is that I clicked OK on multiple occasions and let it install Flash both from Firefox and from IE. Regardless of the install method, the download manager would come up with this error every time.
The solution ended up being:
- Completely uninstall any reference to Flash from your computer via Add/Remove Programs.
- Set Internet Explorer as the default browser (I’m not actually sure if this step is completely necessary, but it’s what I had done when I actually got the program to work)
- Attempt to launch the Download Manager
- Click the OK button
- Let the Flash player reinstall itself
- Attempt to run the EA application again
I’m not sure exactly what the DM is looking for when it checks for the player, but it must be something only generated on a new install of Flash, and not placed there on an update. I had actually completely uninstalled the download manager as well once, but not at the time that I had got it to work. If the above steps don’t work for you, try uninstalling the download manager before you try steps 1-5 again.